Skin Cancer and Mohs Surgery
If you have recently been diagnosed with skin cancer, you are not alone. Over one million people are diagnosed with skin cancer in the U.S. each year, making it the most common type of cancer. Fortunately, it is also one of the most treatable forms of cancer.
Some skin cancers are readily treated with topical creams, cryotherapy (freezing), electrodesiccation and curettage (burning and scraping), or simple excision. Mohs Micrographic Surgery is reserved for skin cancers that are:
- located on cosmetically or functionally critical areas (especially on the face)
- recurrent after failing previous treatment
- clinically ill-defined or infiltrating
- aggressive, large, or rapidly growing
- immunocompromised patients
Mohs surgery was developed by Dr. Frederic Mohs in the 1930's. During this procedure, the visible skin cancer is removed and processed in the Mohs laboratory, examining all of the edges of the specimen under a microscope. If any skin cancer remains, the area of remaining cancer is re-excised and, again, examined under a microscope. This process is repeated until the entire skin cancer, including any “roots”, is completely removed (See The Mohs Procedure) . Once the cancer has been proven to be completely removed, most wounds are then repaired and sutured.
The Mohs technique offers several advantages over other treatments:
- provides the highest cure rate of any treatments for skin cancer-up to 99 percent
- minimizes the removal of normal skin tissue allowing for potentially smaller scars
- performed under local anesthesia as an office-based, outpatient procedure
When selecting a Mohs surgeon, it is important to select one who is fellowship trained in an ACGME or ACMS approved program. Both of our Mohs surgeons are not only Board Certified in Dermatology but are also Fellowship Trained in Skin Cancer and Reconstructive Surgery. Additionally, our surgeons are actively involved in training dermatology residents and medical students with the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University. You can rest assured that you are receiving the greatest care with our experienced and well-trained team of experts.